There has been numerous tragedies these past few months, from the Boston Marathon Bombing, to the unforgivable Mother Natures, Twisters that hit Oklahoma this week. (Which by the way, My heart goes out to all that has been affected by this devastation!!) As adults we understand these forces that our county endures, but the ones who don't really understand the full picture is our younger generation, our children!!
Press4Kids has developed an amazing app called News-O-Matic!! The News-O-Matic app will help educate children on news occurring in the world in a kid friendly manner!! It also covers sports, science and much more, in this weekday newspaper!! This application includes five daily news stories, detailed images, videos, illustrations, maps, time lines and games, and is targeted for kids ages 7 to 10. Children can explore the latest current events, while giving them a voice to express their views. They can interact with the Editor-in-Chief by rating stories, drawing pictures, asking questions or expression their own opinions about current topics in the "News Room" section of the app. P4K's objective for the News-O-Matic is to inspire a generation of children to become habitual news readers and well informed global citizens!!
With the way the world is today, I think this app is a must have!! Us, as parents, guardians, and grandparents, just don't always have the right answers or can't explain things in which they way a child sees it, and with this app, you will have help explaining things in a way a kid can understand, and wont be left out. I think it would be a great learning tool for children of the proper age group!
Dr. Phillis Ohr, Child Psychologist for Press4Kids, shared some great tips below on how parents can address news issues with children and what children can do to feel better.
1. When the event does not personally affect the child, reassure them that everything is okay with the people they love and that nothing has changed for them.
2. Be sure to stress to children that if they do have questions to ask parents, teachers as well as friends. Other children having the same feelings may be comforting.
3. Begin by giving the child a brief synopsis of what happened by using age appropriate language. Ask if there is something they want to know more about or if they need something explained further. If so, stick to pointedly answering their question or clarifying. Do not add on or digress.
4. Do not assume the news will make children feel a certain way. Ask if they know how they feel, but stress that kids feel all different ways when they hear important news and sometimes do not know how they feel or do not feel anything which is okay. However, if children are affected by it, it is their own feeling. Reassure children that no matter what they are feeling, their feelings are okay.
5. If they are upset but don't want to talk, suggest a fun activity for distraction or help them use calming skills like playing, drawing a picture or writing a story. These activities help release any upset feelings and make children feel better.
To help celebrate their new News-O-Matic App, They will be offering my readers a chance to win a Goody Bag filled with goodies!!! How awesome is that??!! Thanks so much Press4Kids!
To learn more visit Press4Kids.com, you can also connect with them on Facebook and Twitter!!
BUY IT: You can purchase a Subscription to News-O-Matic App in three ways: Daily Issue for $1.99, A Week for $6.99 or for a complete year for $49.99 in the Apple App Store!! Right now you can get a three day free trial, to check it all out!! For your free three issues click HERE!!! This app is for iPads or iPad Minis.
WIN IT: Thanks to Press4Kids, one lucky reader will win a Goodie bag filled with goodies!! (Goodies include a $10 iTunes Gift Card, Backpack, Hats, Water Bottles and an iPad Screen Cleaner!!)
To enter, simply fill out some or all of the Rafflecopter form below. Remember, you have a better chance at winning, by doing most of the entries and coming back daily for the daily entries!!
♥~ Giveaway ~♥
♥~ Rules ~♥
♥~Open to the US
♥~All entries will be verified.
♥~Winner will be notified by email, and has 48 hours to respond, or another winner will be chosen
♥~Winners will be drawn from Random.org provided by Rafflecopter.
♥~Giveaway ends 06/23 11:59 EST .
*Disclaimer- I will be receiving a Goodie Bag for corporation in this post and Press4Kids PR firm will be sponsoring the giveaway. All opinions expressed are mine and one hundred percent honest and true, your opinion may differ.*
a Rafflecopter giveaway